Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Gracious Props and Festival Plans from the Wallie

Jared Bland over at The Shelf (part of the big, fun, unruly herd of Walrus Blogs) has previewed the festival and given yours truly an uncalled for number of horn toots. Jared, you are a scholar and a gentleman. I thank you.

Seriously, though, his picks for the fest are just about the same as mine. Follow him around Harbourfront, beginning Thursday, and you can't go wrong. The only thing I'd make sure to add is the Farley Mowat interview/reading on Saturday, November 1, which Jared is actually hosting. Otherwise will be Farley's last book. This is sure to be an emotional, hilarious couple of hours.

On that note, I half-remember a story Andreas Shroeder once told me and my fellow writer-nerds in his creative non-fiction class at UBC (the best class on any subject I have ever attended, bar none). It was a long, convoluted tale about drinking ridiculous amounts of something or other with a bunch of friends/writers back in the seventies, and it ended with Farley stealing Andreas' umbrella. At least I think that's how it went. Maybe I got it completely wrong. Maybe it wasn't even raining. Maybe the two have never even met.

Wow, there's such freedom in writing memoir.

No comments: